More social media engagement from Tesla’s Elon Musk and the anticipation for his first-ever appearance on SNL where he could mention Dogecoin have pushed the meme token’s price into the stratosphere again. DOGE came roughly $0.25 away from tapping $1 after yet another price record.
- 2021 is the year of the DOGE in the cryptocurrency space. The meme coin started as a joke in 2013 traded around $0.005 at the start of this year, but its price has seen an indescribable surge in the months that followed.
- CryptoPotato has frequently reported DOGE’s records, and the latest one came just a few hours ago.
- Dogecoin had retraced after its previous ATH to below $0.6, but the bulls took charge again and pushed it further north. In a matter of hours, DOGE spiked by more than 22% to its latest record at $0.74 (on Bitstamp).
- Interestingly, this price pump came amid more Elon Musk tweets regarding his favorite meme coin.
- Tesla’s CEO has supported the cryptocurrency for a while with numerous social media engagements. In fact, he has previously referred to himself as the “DOGEFATHER.”
- Furthermore, the billionaire will host Saturday Night Live this weekend, and he has hinted quite a few times that he will mention Dogecoin
Guest starring … pic.twitter.com/buM3bTOWbX
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 7, 2021
- With its latest record, DOGE’s market cap exploded to above $90 billion. Thus, the meme coin is roughly $5 billion away from surpassing Binance Coin and entering the top three coins by market capitalization.
- Outside of the crypto industry, DOGE is now bigger than Airbnb, Uber, General Motors Company, Zoom, FedEx, and more.